FMI Bytes: How Increasing Demand for Autonomous and Smart Railway Solutions Driving Radar & LiDAR Technology for Railways Application Market?
According to projections, the market for radar and LiDAR technologies for railway applications would expand at a CAGR of 7% between 2018 and 2022. Radar and LiDAR technology for railway applications is anticipated to develop as smart train systems become more widely adopted.
Data and IoT now play a bigger part in railway operations daily, in addition to accounting, logistics and shipping management, and resource management, in the transportation industry. These tasks include scheduling, calculating financial benefits, and train safety, to name a few.
The variety of services offered to interested participants has been expanded by technology solution providers to keep up with the increased adoption of technology by rail operators. It has become commonplace for businesses to integrate virtualization, custom asset management software, and analytical and predictive modelling. This requires a successful strategy.
The need for these smart railway technologies will increase as railroads make the transition to partially autonomous transport over the next ten years. To provide a smooth and secure transit experience, train operators are evaluating smart railway technology including radar and LiDAR systems.
What effects would the market of mobile LiDAR systems increasing adoption have?
Three different equipment platforms can be used to acquire LiDAR data: airborne, mobile, or ground-based stationary. For obtaining data for close-range applications, ground-based LiDAR devices are perfect. Mobile LiDAR scanners are extremely helpful for detecting train motions while moving along tracks since they deliver dense, accurate, and feature-rich data at driving speeds.
To operate on the railway and map the area, a mobile LiDAR system is installed on a car or train locomotive. Mobile LiDAR is perfect for mapping rail routes since it can give measurements at a rate of up to 1.1 million per second. It has thus developed into a crucial instrument for asset management, planning, design, development, activities, service, and preservation of railway infrastructure projects.
How is the Trend of Autonomous Driving the Market Growth?
Trains become less dangerous and require fewer maintenance thanks to guided or even autonomous driving characteristics, which one of the selected sensors, LiDAR, enables. A growing number of autonomous trains use LiDAR technologies to increase productivity and quickly identify obstacles.
To measure a fast-moving train’s speed, document track irregularities, and evaluate the condition of the rail track, radar, and LiDAR equipment are used. With the help of two sets of lenses, it displays the speed indications from each rail independently.
Advanced LiDAR systems with the high resolution and accuracy required to monitor vital and pricey rail transit modes are available from companies like XenomatiX. LiDAR technologies are also being used in autonomous trains by businesses like Thales to better understand the track environment and identify obstructions.
Why is the United States Emerge a Key Radar & LiDAR Technology for Railways Application Market?
· Through 2033, the US market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of almost 10.4%. Due to the presence of major vendors of radar and LiDAR technology in the area, FMI anticipates that the United States will continue to be one of the most lucrative markets in North America throughout the forecast period.
· The deployment of radar and LiDAR technologies for railway applications in the United States is slightly reduced between 2020 and 2022 as a result of the COVID-19 epidemic.
· To boost productivity, enhance property values, and lower expenses in comparison to other forms of transportation, the US government is investing extensively in passenger rail lines. In the upcoming years, it is predicted that this will fuel market sales. In 2022, the United States is expected to hold a 19.8% market share, according to the analysis.
How Big Is the Opportunity in the United Kingdom?
· Leading European industries are embracing technology more and more. The United Kingdom has a highly developed rail network, and many of its train operators make use of cutting-edge digital rail technologies. The nation has been making investments in the upgrading of the rail system.
· According to a 2019 research conducted for the United Kingdom’s railway companies, the UK may gain an additional $118 billion in financial benefits from a US$ $70 billion train investment in the 2020s.
· Radar and LiDAR technology for railway applications is expected to rise as a result of government initiatives to increase the country’s high-speed rail network and close transportation gaps. The United Kingdom is expected to expand at a CAGR of 12.8% during the projection period, according to the analysis.
What is Driving Demand for Mobile LiDAR Scanner Segment?
· New possibilities are emerging as mobile laser scanning is being used to access and gather data from risky building sites, off-limits locations, and overgrown vegetation. The mobile LiDAR scanner also has static scanning devices, which produce point clouds with greater information.
· LiDAR scanners provide features like effective data collecting, accurate positional processing, excellent 3D visualization, cost and schedule effectiveness, and more. The market for mobile LiDAR scanners is driven ahead by the dependability of these features. As a result, the device segment’s mobile LiDAR scanner segment is anticipated to experience substantial growth. Moreover, a market share of 58.9% for the device segment was predicted for 2022.
Why are Radar Sensor Modules preferred over other Radar Technologies?
· The market for global radar sensor modules is anticipated to expand significantly during the time of the projection. Due to reasons like rising demand for border protection systems and for security and protection in autos, the market for radar sensor modules is expanding.
· Wideband 5G deployment and the use of RF systems based on millimetre waves both support market expansion. The high cost of installation and development, however, is a significant barrier for the global radar sensor sector. In addition, a market share of 70.9% for radar sensor modules was projected for 2022.
Companies operating in the market rely on various expansion strategies to increase their penetration across lucrative markets. These strategies include product launches, collaborations with key players, partnerships, acquisitions, and strengthening of regional and global distribution networks.
· In July 2020, Bosch introduced a new LiDAR Sensor. The new sensor can measure the distance between target objects by illuminating them with laser light and measuring the reflected pulses. The LiDAR can detect a range of 250 meters and recognize up to 24 objects at the same time. This new sensor is used in railways applications for safety purposes.
· In October 2020, ELVA-1 tested their new technology PPC-10G (70/80 GHz) wireless radios for train-to-ground connectivity. This system is designed to solve the problem of providing high-speed trains with a broadband Internet connection on straight sections of the railway.
· In January 2020, Hupac Intermodal launched Train Radar. The new tool provides real-time train running information. It enables real-time tracking and ETA information. It offers fast and reliable information regarding intermodal transport management.
These insights are based on a report on Radar & LiDAR Technology for Railways Application Market by Future Market Insights.