- eARC offers significant enhancements over ARC by improving soundbar, AV Receiver setup, and user experience while supporting more audio formats including DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- Deliversthe highest digital audio performance available, up to 37 Mbits/second
- Designed for future compatibility with HDMI 2.1 televisions and home theater products
- Built-in lip sync mechanism
Lattice Semiconductor Corporation, the leading provider of customizable smart connectivity solutions, announced the release of the SiI9437 and SiI9438, the first HDMI 2.1 compliant Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) audio receiver and transmitter devices. eARC future proofsand significantly improves home theater connectivity.This new, simple and trouble-free audio feature is included in the recently announced HDMI 2.1 Specification.Available today, eARC technology was developed by the HDMI Forum, an organization of over 80 leading consumer electronics companies.
As a founder, contributor, and adopter of the HDMI Specification, Lattice continues to lead the marketby releasing HDMI 2.1 products supporting eARC technology. The eARC feature makes the audio device work seamlessly with the TV. The device selection and volume control are performed by the TV remote, as if no audio device is attached at all. eARC uses two pins within the HDMI cable – the same pins intended for the HDMI Ethernet Channel feature – to transmit the low-jitter, high-bandwidth audio, and also bi-directional communication signals, which discover and control the audio feature.This is a great improvement over the old TOSLINK and SPDIF audio outputs,which require a separate cable and connector, and lack the ability to communicate between the audio device and TV.
“DTS (now Xperi) was happy to collaborate with Lattice to develop eARC technology because it solves important, long-term compatibility problems in home theaters,” said Joanna Skrdlant,General Manager, Home Audio & Solutions Licensingat Xperi.“Webelieve that the new features coming to consumers with eARC will enhance their home theater experience. Audio content can now move freely through listeners’ connected TVs, while preserving the incredible experience of DTS:X immersive audio and DTS-HD surround audio found in Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs, Blu-ray Discs and streaming services worldwide.”
“HDMI’s purpose is to deliver two promises to the consumer—providethe highest possible digital audio and video quality, and make it simple through automatic configuration,”said Marshall Goldberg, marketing manager at Lattice Semiconductor.“eARC technology is a tremendous step inhome theater connectivity, as it brings vastly higher audio quality than TOSLINK or SPDIF, without the complexity of switching through an AVR device.In addition, its all-new discovery method alsoguarantees compatibility when products from different manufacturers are connected in a home theater system.”
eARC makes using even the highest performance audio systems as easy as using a TV with the built-in speaker. Key features of Lattice HDMI 2.1 SiI9437 and SiI9438 eARC ICs include:
- Availability for both TVs and audio devices
- Compatibility with existing HDMI transmitter or receiver ICs using any version of HDMI
- Supports both HDMI 2.1 eARC and HDMI 1.4 legacy ARC modes with automatic ARC fallback
- eARC control channel functions supported via I2C interface
- 4mm x 4mm QFN package with 0.4mm pin pitch
- Supports eARC Data Channel, including lip sync, discovery, heartbeat, status and capabilities
For more information about eARC, please visit http://www.latticesemi.com/Solutions/Solutions/Standards/HDMI21earc.
For more information about Lattice’s HDMI 2.1 eARC products, please visit http://www.latticesemi.com/Products/ASSPs/HDMI21eARC.aspx.