Designers now have an easier way to deliver both photoplethysmogram (PPG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) measurements for health monitoring from a mobile, battery-powered device. The new MAX86150 from Maxim Integrated Products is a first-of-a kind biosensor module, comprised of internal LEDs, photodetectors and an ECG analog front-end (AFE) to provide highly accurate, FDA-certifiable PPG and ECG performance in compact, power-saving designs, including mobile phones, laptops, tablets and smart speakers.
Delivering synchronized PPG and ECG measurements has been challenging because designers have had to utilize two separate biosensors that together consume more board space and power than a mobile device can typically afford. In addition, achieving high accuracy in the measurements has also been challenging, particularly in cases where sensor sensitivity might be impacted by low perfusion levels or dry skin. The MAX86150 overcomes these challenges, sampling both PPG and ECG simultaneously to provide the highest sensitivity of pulse transit time. To reduce battery drain, the module can be shut down through software with near-zero standby current, allowing the power rails to remain powered at all times. The MAX86150 is available in a 3.3mm x 6.6mm x 1.3mm, 22-pin optical module.
- Highly Accurate: at 136dB, the module’s common mode rejection ratio (CMRR), a measurement of noise rejection, is the highest on the market. Its 100mA-capable, high-dynamic-range LED driver enables higher sensitivity on an array of skin types. A low-impedance contact for the ECG sensor enables more accurate measurements, even in cases of dry skin.
- Long Battery Life: minimizes battery drain with ultra-low shutdown current of 0.7μA typical. Power consumption less than the closest competitive device further extends battery life compared to competitive solutions.
- Ease of Deployment: its dry electrode operation eliminates the need for gels, fluids and sticky or wet pads on other parts of the body to obtain accurate readings.
- Small Form Factor: the same size as a stand-alone ECG sensor, integrating an ECG sensor with an optical PPG sensor saves space and provides much more functionality without requiring a third electrode (which competitive solutions require).
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX86150 is available at Maxim’s website for $4.00 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available from authorized distributors
- The MAX86150EVSYS# evaluation kit is available for $150
EE-Sim models are available; For details, visit http://bit.ly/EE_Sim_Maxim