The MAX31341B nanoPower real-time clock(RTC)from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) enables designers of space-constrained systems such as wearables, medical monitors, point-of-sale (POS) equipment and portable terminals to extend battery life as well as save power and space. More than 35 percent smaller than the tiniest RTC alternatives available today, this nanoPower RTC, which operates at less than 180nA, offloads the central microcontroller from timekeeping, allowing for greater energy savings during sleep cycles and extension of battery runtime.
Systems that use microcontrollers for accurate timekeeping waste battery life, which is unacceptable in wearable applications. This approach is not the most energy efficient, especially when small batteries power the system. The MAX31341B is designed with industry-leading power-management circuitry that remains on during dormant periods, providing timekeeping so that the microcontroller shuts down to preserve power and extend battery life. Available in an ultra-small wafer-level package measuring 2mm x 1.5mm, the RTC cuts the size by more than 35 percent to decrease the overall system design.
- Long Battery Life: Operates 18 percent less than the closest competitor at under 180nA, the timekeeping current on MAX31341B allows a typical lithium coin-cell battery to last for more than 10 years in the battery backup mode.
- Small Solution Size: Minimizes external circuitry by incorporating features such as integrated load cap, trickle charger, power management and 64-byte RAM.
- Accurate Time-keeping: Up to 100ppm (parts per million) accuracy over -40 degrees Celsius to +85 degrees Celsius based on external crystal.
Availability and Pricing
- 0.70 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available from authorized distributors
- MAX31341BEVKIT# evaluation kit is available for$100
Learn more at https://www.maximintegrated.com.