- A bridge operates at the data link layer of the OSI model.
- A bridge transmits the frames between similar networks.
- Bridges are mostly used in LANs.
- A bridge is slower.
- A router operates at the network layer of the OSI model.
- A router transmits the packets only across networks using similar protocols.
- Routers are used in internetworking.
- A router is faster.
- A gateway can operate in all seven layers of the OSI model
- A gateway can transfer the packets between different protocol networks.
- A common use of a gateway is to connect a LAN and an SNA.
- A gateway is much slower than a router.